Challenge A: 5-minute (maximum) showers
Especially the consumption of hot water represents a large part of the energy demand in the household – there are simple ways to save energy!
- A watch, a timer or a piece of music with a known length help you to keep an eye on your time while taking a shower.
- Stop water while soaping!
- Measure the water consumption of your shower head (see info material)
Bonus Challenge: Especially hot water can be problematic – try to take cold showers this week!
Download your info material: Info-week 1-challenge A
Challenge B: Switch off devices that require energy
A simple and fast method to save electricity at home! Switch off all your electronic devices for a week and unplug them when you’re done using them.
- Go through your apartment and find out where your sockets and plugs are. Then it might be easier for you to keep an eye on them.
- Develop routines: For example, you could get into the habit of always disconnecting the mobile phone’s charger cable from the socket immediately after getting up and always switching off PCs directly. Or you can pull the plugs when leaving a room, which you probably don’t need anymore (e.g. the hairdryer?).
- Use plug connectors, so all you have to do is pull one plug
- Use plug connectors with a button to switch them off
Bonus Challenge: Find out about green electricity providers, their prices and your options to change your electricity provider.
Download your info material: Info-week 1-challenge B
Our Wednesday evening in Hamburg:
10/16, 6:30 pm, Julius-Vosseler Straße 193, 22527 Hamburg
Matching this week’s topic of our eco-challenge, we invite you to join us producing practical household articles without ecologically harmful ingredients. We are going to show you how to mix your own washing soda and a simple peeling, made of coffee grounds. In addition, we’ll gladly supply you with interesting information and tips for a more sustainable household.
Whether you are young or old, everyone is welcome! We are excited for a pleasant evening and looking forward to getting to know you.
The event is free of charge. However, as a charitable association of volunteers, we appreciate small donations very much.
If you want to attend this week’s event, please sign up by entering your name here via doodle: https://doodle.com/poll/r6r7v523xf8k4md. The registration only serves the purpose of predicting the number of participants.